Saturday, May 8, 2010

Buy Local, Buy Seasonally . . .

This is one thing that I've really tried to do for the past few years. I don't always do it (I would have to preserve enough food to live through November through April. A great goal, but I'm not there yet.) But I do try and buy as much as I can, especially once the growing season starts. And I am excited to say that Illinois finally has some crops that are available. I buy my local, seasonal food primarily at our local farmer's market, but I also buy some at Naturally Yours grocery store.

According to the Sustainable Table website, the following foods are available in early May in Illinois:
  • Asparagus
  • Cabbage
  • Cherries
  • Greens
  • Leeks
  • Lettuce
  • Onions
  • Peas
  • Radishes
  • Rhubarb
  • Spinach
  • Sprouts
  • Squash
  • Strawberries

No comments: