Sunday, January 1, 2012

Well, a more everyday post to start out 2012

I feel like I should do a top ten list of things that happened in 2011.  Or 2011 photo review.  And I'll do that.  Just not tonight.

And don't worry, this isn't some "heavy" post either.  

Well, I guess it could be, depending on how you look at it. :) I'm thinking about cookware lately. And kitchen utensils. I know, really exciting.  But that's the type of stuff that thrills me lately.  :)

I have been weeding out my aluminum and Teflon pots and pans this year (I even said good-bye to my aluminum dutch oven this year!) and getting rid of plastic and silicone utensils.  I had already eliminated almost all my plastic containers - I use glass jars for almost everything now. 

With my cookware, I have had a cast iron 3 qt. dutch oven/10 inch skillet combo for a few years now, but I wanted to add more pots and pans to my kitchen, either with cast iron or stainless steel.  So this year, I've added a 14 inch stainless steel skillet, a stainless steel double boiler, a cast iron 12 inch skillet, a 12 inch stainless steel skillet, a 12 qt. stainless steel stockpot, and a1 .7 qt. cast iron/enamel saucepan as well as a stoneware deep dish baker, a large stone round stone, and a cast iron/enamel dutch oven .  Almost all were thrifted/garage sale or bought on clearance/sale too.  I'd love to pick up a couple more stainless steel saucepans, another smaller stainless steel stockpot, and some stoneware bread pans and, as well as a cast iron griddle/grill.  But overall, I'm pretty pleased with what I've acquired so far.  I could really use a pot rack now.  Especially in my tiny kitchen with its very limited storage space.  

With utensils, I've picked up a stainless steel ladle, a stainless steel spoon with long handle, and a stainless steel turner.  Oh and stainless steel measuring cups and measuring spoons.  I'd love to pick up a stainless steel slotted spoon and stainless steel tongs. [ETA: I bought a stainless steel slotted spoon and tongs today!]

Oh, and I'd LOVE to get a good cutlery set.  We have an inexpensive set, and now that I'm cooking and preparing MUCH more food from scratch, I have found that I really could use at least a few good quality knives.  

But some days, I just stand in my kitchen and smile.  I have managed to pick up lots of good cookware this year. I've managed to eliminate lots of extra packaging.  I've moved to almost exclusively glass for storage.  I cook from scratch almost always.  I even make lots of my own dairy now! We use stoneware for our plates, glass for our drinking glasses, and stainless steel for our utensils.  We are almost entirely non-disposable (no paper plates, cups, napkins, etc.) It is a tiny kitchen, but I am making the best of the space, I think.  

Next post will be a top ten list, OK? Or 2011 photos in review.  Or maybe I'll talk about yarn.  'Cause this is my blog and that's how I roll.  :)

No comments: