Monday, August 30, 2010

Summer 2010 in Review

In June, we went to a sort of local berry farm and picked 15 pounds of strawberries. I would have liked to have picked more, but I ran out of funds, and my helpers ran out of steam.

Most of the strawberries turned were turned into jam, although I also made a scrumptious strawberry pie.

The jam cooling. (We've gone through 6 of the 12 jars already.)

We spent a lot of time watching the girls at the pool this year. They were both on the Parks and Rec Swim Team. The girls did pretty well, and the team went 7-0 in dual meets and took 1st at Conference. Woo-hoo!

This is Flower adjusting her goggles.

Jelly Bean getting ready to dive in.

Super went for a non-water sport. He really enjoyed T-ball.

In July, there is an Arts Festival that is held
in the downtown area.

This is a picture of one of the main downtown
streets and the booths.

And here is Super eating ice cream from one of our favorite places. (Well, eating and wearing. In this pic, he just got some ice cream on his cap.)

In August, swimming and T-ball are over, and so we do a lot more just hanging out. But we did go to a minor league game last week. The kids had fun, for a few innings anyway. Here are the girls.

And here is Super. Yes, his hair is shorter. It was actually much shorter than this too. He got his haircut almost to "buzz cut" length earlier in the summer. He wasn't a fan of the short cut, and to be honest, neither was I, so I think that his curls will be returning as his usual look.
---------------------------------

I don't have pictures of all the things that I have harvested from the garden this year. In June, we had broccoli and green beans. Beginning of July, there were cucumbers, and by the end of July, tomatoes had started and peppers too. August has been more tomatoes (lots more) and more peppers. Zucchinis, sweet potatoes, and sweet corn were failures. Oh, and in the herb garden, I've been harvesting basil, oregano, and parsley.

I've also been preserving food. In addition to the strawberry jam, I've canned beans, pickles, peach jam (SOOO good), and tomato sauce. I plan on canning applesauce and peaches in September. I've dried the herbs and I plan on drying apples.

No comments: