Friday, February 6, 2009

OK, I finished my bookstand books back in December

but I left the list up to remind me to do a review. And now it is February. Oh well.

The Citizen Solution: How You Can Make A Difference
It was o.k. Probably my least favorite of the batch. I was hoping for more solid suggestions on how I can make a difference in my local area, and it wasn't really that kind of book, despite the title indicating that it would be.

The Self-Sufficient Life and How To Live It
I like this one a lot. It is more of a reference book than a sit-down-and-read book, but I am going to buy it to add to our home library, and to help me have something to look at while planning our move to the country in a couple years.

High Spirits: A Modern Family In Search of an Old-Fashioned Dream
Loved this one. It was a story about a family who moved from the city to a farm (they had 7 children) and how they learned how to raise animals and use machinery, etc. and just their life over about 15 years. It was published in the 1980s though, just so you are aware that it isn't a completely up-to-date story.

For the Children's Sake: Foundations of Education for Home and School
I've read this one a few times, and it is actually a book out of our home library. But I love it, and I'm going to be devoting a few posts to how I apply these ideas to our home and school.

Fallscaping: Extending Your Garden Into Autumn
O.K., again, I was hoping for a slightly different book. This sort of assumed that you had at least a medium-sized established garden. I was hoping for something that that told me about some plants I could plant in late summer/early fall, but this book tells you how to plant in the spring for blooming in the fall.

Winter Gardening
Honestly, I don't remember much about this book, except that it had some interesting pictures. I kind of wish that I had this book now though because Flower was studying about the Snowdrop flower, and I was wishing that I could look at this book and see where/when/etc. you should plant this flower because I would LOVE to be able to see a blooming flower in February.

No comments: