Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Another thing to help me get through February

is I start thinking about planting the garden. It helps me realize that it WILL be Spring one day. Even though, in Illinois, in the winter, it always feels like it will never be Spring.

Here are the vegetables that I like that can be planted in early Spring. I got the information on planting schedules at this website.

Zones 5-6 Planting Schedule

Broccoli: Mar 25 - Apr 5
Carrot: Mar 25 - Apr 10
Cauliflower: Apr 1 - 20
Kale: Mar 25 - Apr 5
Lettuce: Apr 1 - May 15
Peas: Mar 25 - Apr 10
Potato, Irish: Apr 1 - 15
Spinach: Apr 1 - 20

So 4-5 weeks and I should be putting plants in the ground. I planted broccoli and cauliflower last year. I'm probably going to broccoli again, but not cauliflower. I tried carrots at home last year, and wasn't overly successful. The peas never grew last year because it was so wet last spring. I am still trying to decide about peas, but I might do a row, but not a lot of peas. I probably won't do potatoes, but I probably will do spinach and lettuce. Maybe kale.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so excited too! It has been the thing that made this LONG (ok so it isn't that long but whatever!) bearable! Do you want to get together soon and talk Garden! Mmmmmm! I can't wait!