Sunday, February 7, 2010

Resource Management: Staying Out Of Debt

This quote comes out of the February Ensign by Joseph B. Wirthlin (I recently posted about an article I read of his where he talked about learning how to be happy. This person was a very wise man.) It is very good advice, not just for members of the church that I attend, but for everyone.

“May I suggest five key steps to financial freedom. …
“First, pay your tithing. … (or if you do not attend a church, contribute to a charitable organization)
“Second, spend less than you earn. …

“Third, learn to save. …
“Fourth, honor your financial obligations. …
“Fifth, teach your children to follow your example.”

Joseph B. Wirthlin (1917–2008)

Five easy steps. Well, easy if that is how you start out. Not as easy if you try and use these steps when you are already in debt, but they still work. I wish that I would have followed these steps from the beginning of my adulthood. It was so easy to rationalize things and then one day - it seemed so sudden, but it wasn't, it happened over many years - I was in debt. A lot of debt. It has taken years to get out, and I'm not quite there yet, but I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel. I hope to never get that far in the tunnel again.

No comments: