Wednesday, February 3, 2010

February . . . I always need something to do so . . .

it doesn't get too depressing with all the grey skies and cold, and mostly melted snow.

So I'm starting a project. I've got lots of fabric scraps - big enough for a square or two, but not really big enough to make into anything else. So I'm going to make a crazy block quilt out of it. It is not going to match, or be particularly cute or artsy or anything. But it will be functional, and it will use up some of that fabric that is sitting in my closet. I will probably end up donating it to Project Linus - a project very near and dear to my heart. (Please visit the link and donate blankets if you can - they are always in need of blankets and donations, but especially now. Project Linus is sending LOTS of blankets to Haiti, and their supply will be lower than it has been in a long time, so your help in replenishing their supply would be MUCH appreciated.)

The other thing that I am doing is having a Whole Foods month. I am going to try and make my meals out of whole foods as much as possible, and I'll list what we had that week on Sundays. The Wikipedia definition of Whole Foods is "Whole foods are foods that are unprocessed and unrefined, or processed and refined as little as possible before being consumed. Whole foods typically do not contain added ingredients, such as sugar, salt, or fat.[1] Examples of whole foods include unpolished grains; fruits and vegetables; unprocessed meat, poultry, and fish; and non-homogenized milk." I won't be quite that strict - I'll still be using homogenized milk, and I'll be using some white flour, and some non-whole wheat pasta, and I'll be using sugar, salt or fat in my baking, and I WON'T be doing much of, if at all of the making my own pasta. But I will be making most things from scratch, and we will be eating things like oatmeal or eggs for breakfast. etc.

Are you doing anything to keep you busy during this dreary month?

No comments: