Monday, March 5, 2012

What a crazy winter this one has been!


My children's snow boots that they got for Christmas this year

It has been in the 60s this winter more times than I can remember and here we are 5 days into March, and I woke up and there was snow on the ground!

I checked my kids' winter clothing back in early November, and decided that they were o.k. with everything but snow boots (my kids just can't seem to stop their feet from growing from year to year!) So all three kids got snow boots for Christmas. I was going to get some new snow boots for myself, but I decided to repurpose my old hunting boots instead for this year and maybe get some new snow boots next year if the hunting boots didn't work out well.

Well, I have worn my hunting boots for snow boots exactly ONCE this year. My kids have worn their snow boots slightly more. As in maybe THREE times. The only bright spot in all of this is that I bought their snow boots a size bigger than they wear except for Flower (I got her a Women's size 8.5. I am really hoping that her feet don't get any bigger than that! She is 12 1/2 years old, and she is only 4 foot, 10 inches tall, so hopefully, her feet are full-sized now.)

I also was going to get myself an every day winter coat and never got around to that either. When it was really cold, I just wore my dress winter coat (a grey cashmere pea coat I got last year). But often times, a sweater was sufficient. And I have certainly got enough sweaters! (I think the last count was 11. Ahem. At least most of them were thrifted.)

I keep wondering what this mild winter will mean for the garden this year. Everyone says that there will be more bugs. Great. I haven't seen any of my bulbs poking up yet, but I've got a pretty thick layer of mulch over them - guess it is probably time to start pulling some of that off.

It is hard to believe that it is almost Spring. Winter felt like it went by so quickly this year. It is funny too, that I'm ending my preschool and devoting more time to my business endeavors just as Spring is arriving.  Sort of feeds into that whole "things die off in the winter and things begin to bloom in the spring" theme. 

No comments: