Monday, November 10, 2008

More about my binder system - Household Managment Binders

I posted about my binder system in this post. In this post, I will go into more detail about my Household Management System binders. I, of course, have to credit Dawn for getting me started on this idea. I use a file crate system in a similar way to her system, but my household management system is somewhat different. As always, it is important to tweak anybody's system to fit your family's needs.

I'll try and get some pictures up soon, but until then, here is my household management binder system.

Suggested Binders for a Household Management System

In addition to my Household Management Binders, I also have a file crate. The crate contains 52 weekly folders, and 4 seasonal folders and some of the household binders. I use one file folder upstairs to store the activities and invitations for the following week, and I also put things in it that need to be filed downstairs. Then on my planning day (Wednesday), I transfer the things for the next week and I file the things from the past week. I store my Household Management binders in a variety of places and I listed here where I store them.. In my binders, I have lots of page protectors and I place the information in them usually instead of printing and three-hold punching the things for each binder.

Planning Binder (stored in tote bag)
To start your Household Notebook, begin with the basics: planning and time management. I put in my monthly calendars, any additional schedules, seasonal activity lists, my file folder, journal, etc.

Faith Binder (stored in church bag)
This binder contains church magazines, proclamations, brochures, handouts, talks, etc.

Phone Binder (stored in phone book drawer)
The Phone Binder is a place to put class rosters, take-out phone numbers, club directories, emergency phone numbers, etc.

Family & School Binder (stored in file crate)
Family is where the heart is--and deserves its own binder. This binder tracks information needs of family members and family life:

  • personal information page for each family member
  • clothing sizes tracker
  • master occasions list (birthdays, anniversaries)
  • gift suggestion list
  • birthday party ideas
  • recommended Web sites
  • list of DVD/videos to rent
  • list of books to read
  • library information


Families with school-aged children will want to add a school divider to hold:

  • school schedules and holiday list
  • lunch menus
  • carpool schedule
  • school information page
  • school reading lists
  • summer programs information


Housekeeping Binder (Stored in file crate except for chore checklists)
The Housekeeping holds information central to house and home. Cleaning, entertaining, decorating and household storage information are stored here. Consider these ideas for the Home Management divider:

  • household cleaning schedule
  • seasonal chore checklists
  • children's chore checklists
  • home inventory
  • home decorating ideas
  • party planners
  • car maintenance schedule
  • stain removal guide
  • recycling locations
  • home storage inventory
  • yard sale checklist

Food Management Binder (Kept in the kitchen)
In the kitchen, this binder helps plan meals, create menus, and track inventory in pantry and freezer. Use this section to hold grocery shopping lists and price lists, weekly menus, etc.

Money and Finance Binder (Kept in file crate with the exception of the bills/purchases list)
Use this binder for information to help keep track of household finances with budget pages, inventory sheets and household information. Here are some examples of the kinds of information that can be included behind this binder:

  • budget/spending record
  • bills to pay
  • credit card list
  • online service/online account information
  • home inventory
  • insurance information
  • utilities/services directory
  • warranty information
  • vehicle records

Health and Fitness Binder (Kept in file crate with the exception of food journal)
Organize family health care with a Health and Fitness divider. Have a medical emergency? Grab the Health and Fitness Binder on the way to the Emergency Room. Visit to the pediatrician? Use this section to record illnesses, medication and medical history. Types of information to file in the Health and Fitness binder include:

  • food journal
  • first aid kit checklist
  • medical information sheet for each family member
  • emergency directory
  • medical authorization form
  • prescription drug record
  • insurance information
  • pet health records

Travel and Activities Binder (Kept in file crate)
Time for fun! The Travel and Activities binder covers the extra-curricular activities that make life worthwhile. Hobby, church, club, sports, volunteer, vacation and travel ideas are included here. These sections will vary from family to family, but here are some ideas:

  • picnic planner
  • travel packing checklist
  • before-we-leave checklist
  • camping checklist
  • vacation idea list
  • house-sitter information sheet
  • PTA newsletters and rosters
  • Scouting or PTA materials

2 comments:

Shiela Lee said...

You've inspired me to resurrect my binder that I created from the FlyLady ideas. It's not perfect, but I sure do better at keeping my home and family in order when I use it!

I LOVE your blog!!

Mary said...

Can I pay you to make me some binders? I would love to do this, but I don't think I am capable!!!