Friday, November 14, 2008

More November Lists - In Season Foods and Provident Living

Sorry - I meant to do this last week, and it just totally slipped my mind and now all of a sudden, almost half the month is over.

My goal is to only buy fresh produce that is in season. Some months (like December through March) that gets trickier than others. Also, my kids like to eat bananas and they don't grow well here in Midwest, U.S.A, so there are certain exceptions. But like I said, it is the goal. Next year, I also hope to do more canning so we can eat local fruit and vegetables that were picked when they were in season. particularly during the winter monts. I meant to do canning this year, but didn't have the time or the $$. Another goal to put on my list . . . (Boy that list is getting long! LOL).

I also buy organic foods, but only if they have had high pesticide load. I will put an (O) to the right of a particular food if I buy it organically.

Also, keep in mind that this in-season list is only valid for Midwest U.S.A and your in-season foods may be different. I found this list through the local county extension office's website, so you may want to check with your local county extension to find out the in-season foods in your area.

November In-Season Foods
  • Apples (O)
  • Bell Peppers (O) (I don't actually buy these. My family does not like peppers, and I do NOT buy food if my family does like it. We have enough food that we do enjoy that I don't waste my money buying food just because it is in season.)
  • Garlic
  • Greens
  • Horseradish
  • Onions
  • Peas
  • Potatoes (O)
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Pumpkins
  • Spinach (O)
  • Squash
Provident Living - November
  • Literacy: Volunteer to read at a local school
  • Education: Continue Reading plan
  • Career Development: Conduct mock interviews
  • Resource Management: Create a digital (document and photo) inventory
  • Health and Physical Fitness: Learn about disease prevention
  • Social and Emotional Health: Learn about communication
  • Food Storage: Week 1 - salt, Week 2 - vitamins, Week 3 - chocolate chips, cocoa, vanilla, Week 4 - oatmeal

No comments: