From the Latin word, novum, meaning “nine”. November was the 9th month of the Roman calendar.
Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius (November 22-December 21); Sagittarians are good-natured and friendly. They are interested in everything and everybody.
Weather Report: On November 20, 1979, a blizzard struck Cheyenne, WY, producing 19.8 inches of snow in 24 hours.
We return thanks to our mother, the earth
Which sustains us.
We return thanks to the rivers and streams,
Which supply us with water.
We return thanks to all herbs,
which furnish medicines for the cure of our diseases.
We return thanks to the bushes and trees,
Which provide us with fruit.
We return thanks to the wind,
Which, moving the air, has banished diseases.
We return thanks to the moon and stars,
Which have given to us their light
When the sun was gone.
We return thanks to our grandfather He-no,
That he has protected his grandchildren from
Witches and reptiles, and has given to us his rain.
We return thanks to the sun,
that he has looked upon the earth with a beneficent eye.
Lastly, we return thanks to the Great Spirit,
In whom is embodied all goodness, and who
Directs all things for the good of his children.
- grey skies
- frosty, brown grass
- bare trees
- cut cornfields
- dark afternoons
- the Full Beaver Moon (13)
- winter squash
- hot cider
- hot chocolate
- pies - apple, cherry, pumpkin, berry
- turkey and all the trimmings
- homemade cranberry relish
- National American Indian Heritage Month
- Daylight Savings Day Ends (2)
- Election Day (4)
- Martinmas (11)
- Veterans Day (11)
- National Homemade Bread Day (17)
- World Hello Day (21)
- National Game and Puzzle Week (23)
- Thanksgiving Day (27)
- verify that the pantry and 3 month supply of food/supplies are stocked
- verify that there is an adequate (perhaps 3 month! LOL) of Swiss Miss Milk Chocolate with Mini-Marshmellows Hot Chocolate
- prepare the car for winter and holiday travel
- inspect/replace holiday decorations
- finish Christmas gifts
- clean carpets
- write/assemble Christmas cards
- clean dining room and clean crystal, silver and table linens
- stock medicine cabinet with cold and flu medications
- In November by Cynthia Rylant
- Apple cider making days by Ann Purmell
- My goose Betsy by Trudi Braun
- Squawk to the moon, little goose by Edna Mitchell Preston
- The way home by Nan Parson Rossiter
- Catching the wind by Joanne Ryder
- Black crow, black crow by Ginger Guy
- Mousekin's Thanksgiving by Edna Miller
- The Turkey Girl : a Zuni Cinderella story by Penny Polluck
- nature center
- polling center
- paper weaving
- lanterns for Martinmas
- pinecone people
- clearing out the garden and planting fall/winter plants
- a grateful tree