Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Homemaking: How much do you do?

I used to make fun of the idea of "homemaking" when I was younger. And I certainly never imagined that it would be something that I would actually WANT to do.

But now, not only do I enjoy it, but I think it is important for me to do for my family.

When I think about homemaking, I try and think about what things that I can do at home so that I spend less money and so that I don't have to go out and buy it.

So for ME, here is what my homemaking goals are:

1. Make most of my own cleaning supplies from vinegar, borax, washing soda, castille soap, salt, etc.

2. Make my own crocheted dishcloths and scrubbers. Sew my own dishtowels.

3. Sew my own tablecloths, placemats, etc.

4. Crochet or knit mittens and hats for my family. Next year, I may add sweater to the list, but I want to have realistic goals.

5. Preserve as much food as I can, especially from my own gardens.

6. Closely related to #5, grow as much food as I can in my own gardens.

7. Conserve water.

8. Use a clothesline instead of the dryer when possible.

9. Use the car less.

10. Compost.

11. Make my own dairy products - butter, cheese, ice cream and yogurt.

12. Make quilts for every member of the family.

13. Make my own soap.

14. Make my own candles.

15. Make my own lotions.

16. Buy and live locally.

17. Buy and live seasonally.

18. Buy used whenever possible.

19. Conserve energy.

20. Bake bread.

1 comment:

In Cera's Opinion said...

Thanks for this post!! I go back and forth as to if I would be good at "Homemaking" and if it's worth me quiting my job that pay's money to a job that pays in everyother way. You are inspiring and I really enjoy reading all your post!!

Cera