Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Food Management and Menus for the week of October 13-19th

I try to eat local if possible, foods in season, organic for certain things, and food from the Super Foods list. I also try to have a variety of canned and frozen fruits and vegetables in addition to the fresh fruits and vegetables.

So at the beginning of the month, I look at my list to see what is in season here in Illinois. So for October, here are the fruits and vegetables that are in season: apples, bell peppers, berries, cauliflower, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, garlic, grapes, greens, herbs, lettuce, okra, onions, peas, plums, potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkins, spinach, and squash. I buy the in season things each week (well, the things that my family likes from the list) fresh, preferably from the local farmers market, but the local farmers market closes in October.

Then I check the organic list, and buy organic for the fruits and vegetables with a pesticide load of 60 or above. So for the in season foods, that is apples, bell peppers, strawberries, grapes, and spinich. I also buy these foods fresh.

Then I look at the Super Food list and put them on my list if I don't already have them for the week too - beans, blueberries, broccoli, oranges, garlic, nuts, oats, pumpkin, spinach, tomatoes turkey, and yogurt. I buy the blueberries, spinach oranges, garlic, nuts, fresh. I buy the broccoli frozen, the oats, beans, pumpkin, and tomatoes in a can. I buy yogurt from the refridgerator section.

I keep the following foods in my three month supply of canned foods - peas, green beans, carrots, corn, pineapple, peaches, applesauce, beans, chicken, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, beef broth, oatmeal, potato pearls, and pasta.

I keep the following foods in the freezer portion of the fridge - broccoli, corn, green beans, peas, ground turkey, turkey breast, whole chicken, blueberries, rasberries, strawberries, and fruit juice.

Oh, and Jelly Bean has a milk allergy, so most of the food that we fix does not contain milk products. If there is traditionally milk in something, I substitute soy milk.

So for this week, we are having:

Sunday:
Breakfast - blueberry muffin and yogurt Lunch - tuna salad and wheat bread, orange, and lettuce salad Dinner - oven fried chicken, applesauce, fresh peas, and pumpkin pie.

Monday:
Breakfast - oatmeal and a banana Lunch - red bean and rice, cornbread, apple. and broccoli Dinner - spaghetti with marinara sauce, plum, and canned green beans.

Tuesday:
Breakfast - banana pancakes Lunch - PBJ on wheat bread, carrots, peaches and yogurt Dinner - pumpkin soup, apple, and frozen peas.

Wednesday:
Breakfast - eggs with wheat toast Lunch - chicken salad on wheat bread, applesauce, broccoli Dinner - rice and beans, peaches, frozen beans.

Thursday:
Breakfast - oatmeal and blueberry yogurt smoothie Lunch - macaroni and cheese, orange, and fresh carrots Dinner - greek chicken soup, apple, cauliflower.

Friday:
Breakfast - oatmeal and a banana Lunch - chicken salad on wheat bread, apple and broccoli Dinner - turkey and biscuits, applesauce, canned carrots.

Saturday:
Breakfast - french toast Lunch - calico beans, orange, carrots Dinner - ground turkey, peaches, canned green beans, and pumpkin spice bread.

What are you eating during these beautiful days of Autumn?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sooo are you going to consistently put up foods that are in season in Illinois on your blog or do you have a list for that still? I think you emailed it to me once. If you don't mind would you care to do it again? I love the menu! I am trying to be better about that. I used to make the menu and then shop but my new goal is to look at the sales, look at the foods that are good for us and THEN make the menu. I have to remember about the Super Foods! That book rocks! Must go find it again! :-)