Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I spent money over the weekend

I tried to be frugal, and I was, sort of, but I always have a sense of guilt and regret when I get home from a day full of shopping. I try to go to the thrift store/dollar store/discount store, etc. only once a month, and only if I actually need things. I always buy things that aren't on my list anyway, so even though I'm paying less than full price usually, going to any store is a dangerous place for me to go when I don't need anything.

(I'll try and get some pictures up soon, but for now, I'll just tell you about my purchases)

Goodwill:
  • Two ballerina costumes for the girls' for Halloween. $2.00
  • 8 cloth napkins $4.00
  • 2 cloth placemats $1.00
  • Trinket box $ 0.50
  • Glass Leaf $0.50
  • Three baskets $3.00
  • Jean skirt (for me, I almost never buy clothes for myself) $2.00
  • Black dress pants (for me) $2.00
  • Born handcrafted leather shoes, in GREAT condition $2 (here they are at the new price - http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpage.asp?gen=w&pcid=123984. These are SO comfortable.)
  • Amalfi loafers, in GREAT condition $2 (here they are with the new price - http://zeta.zappos.com/product/7475265/color/27305. I like well-made shoes, but I've never spent more than $70 EVER on a pair of shoes, and I prefer to spend more like $50, and wear them to death)
  • Only Hearts Doll $0.50
  • Candle Snuffer $1.00
  • Magnetic strip with magnets from IKEA $1.00
  • Plaid skirt for Jelly Bean $3
  • Pink denim jacket for Jelly Bean $2
  • 3 long-sleeve shirts for Flower $8

Office Depot:
(School Supplies)
  • Card Stock $1o.oo
  • Printer Paper $7.50
  • Crayons $2.00
  • Colored Pencils $2.00
  • Markers $2.00

School Shop:
  • Easel Paper $5.00
  • Easel Pad $5.00
  • 2 Geo Boards $7.00
  • 3 Eyedroppers $5.00
  • Small pumpkins die-cuts $2.00
  • Medium pumpkin die cuts $2.00
  • Large pumpkin die cuts $2.00
  • Fall bulletin board border $3.00

TJ Maxx:

  • Sequence Cards $5.00
  • Opposite Cards $5.00
  • Tying Shoe $8.00

Scrapbook Store:
  • Paper to make die-cuts for alphabet for preschool $7

I also had to go to the grocery store TWICE (I hate it when I don't get everything the first time around). It was $30 each time, and I still haven't done our monthly grocery run. I'm strongly considering just living off our food storage this month instead and filling in with some produce, milk and eggs.

2 comments:

corn fed girl said...

I hope the clothes you bought yourself contains at least 1 pair of plether pants!

Normal Mom said...

I think you are doing a fantastic job of simple living. Don't beat yourself up, pat yourself on the back for finding such great deals!