Tuesday, October 14, 2008

How to find happiness and other great thoughts

Rhonda Jean says over at Simple/Green/Frugal Co-op,

That is what worked for me. I want you to find your own happiness. I can’t
tell you what will make you happy, only you know that. I can tell you that
happiness isn’t one thing. It’s a whole lot of tiny fragments that you find
every day that add up to a deep feeling of contentment and knowing you’re doing
the right thing. And I know that you won’t find true and enduring happiness in
any shopping mall, I can only encourage you to look in places unexpected, and to
show you through my blog that it is easy to live well outside the modern
perception of what makes a good life.

I’m not telling you to give up your job if you work outside the home,
I’m not telling you to live as we do. I am saying that whatever you do, fashion
it to suit yourself so that it gives you a life worth living. If you are working
hard at an outside job make sure you give yourself time to enjoy what you’re
working for. If you’re working at home, be mindful of happiness and what’s
around you, not just getting the job done.

Many people are stressed in their day-to-day lives and worried about their
future. I think that is sometimes because they don’t feel in control of their
own lives. Prices are rising, the climate is changing and often it all seems too
much. But don't let that stop you, don't be scared into standing still, because
that is the very time you need to do something. If you can gain independence by
changing in some way, do it. I felt a growing independence when I started
learning how to look after myself and I realised I did not need to shop to
provide all I needed to live. When I knew that I could step away from what I was
expected to do and instead do what I wanted, I started to build my own unique
life. I moved away from the life prescribed for me by outsiders, I took my life
by the throat and gave it a good shaking. In a sense, I grew up. I stopped
listening to what I was being told, I identified how I wanted to live and then
worked towards it, and that, my friends, has made all the difference.


A life worth living. Sounds like a good goal.

No comments: