Friday, November 11, 2011

OK, back to Festivals! The Pumpkin Festival!

This year, we went to The Pumpkin Festival. It takes place in Morton, IL, which is about 30 minutes from where we live. I'd heard of The Pumpkin Festival a few years ago, but we had never made it over there for the festival. And for me, I'd actually never even been to Morton, IL. Morton is, among other things, the home of Libby's Pumpkin (ever heard of them? LOL) and so each September, in celebration of the pumpkin canning season, Morton hosts the Morton Pumpkin Festival. (The Morton Pumpkin Festival is 45 years old, just like me, but since my birthday is at the end of August, technically, I am a few days older. I wonder why, in the mid 60s, all these fall festivals sprung up? Anyway . . . )




Being well-versed in festivals, we thought that we knew what to expect: food, people selling craft things in booths, balloon makers, maybe some kid crafts, pony rides - that sort of stuff. There was food, and there were some craft booths, but most of what they had at the Pumpkin fest was a HUGE amount of carnival games and rides. The kids were thrilled, me, well, not as much. I mean, I enjoy rides as much as the next person. Well, not the spinning ones since my Meniere's diagnosis. But I digress. Anyway, when I think of "festival", I don't think of being able to go and ride a Tilt-A-Whirl, you know what I mean?






So we went and look at the craft booths, and then we ate (oh my goodness, I had the best pork sandwich EVER. If any of the locals go to this festival, go to the food place that is sort of behind where the big slides are at. So, so good.) And had some really yummy Apple slushies. But the rest of the food area was very crowded and had long lines, and I was happy with the food that we got, so we didn't get any pumpkin ice cream or anything. Then everybody got to pick one ride. Flower, the non-brave one, opted to go on the big slides and wanted me to go with her.



Jelly Bean and Super? They ended up on this:





Yep, that's The Zipper. Pre-Meniere's, I loved this ride too, but I knew it would give me dreadful vertigo, so I decided that the slides, although boring, would cause less problems overall.



So, if you enjoy carnival rides, and you don't mind really long lines to get pumpkin-related food, I'd say go to the Morton Pumpkin Festival. I haven't decided yet if it is going to stay on the permanent Festival list. Check back with me next fall!

No comments: